Saturday, January 9, 2010

Nhu Lan

When trying to find a good eatery, it is generally a no-brainer that the busiest one is best. This logic prevails at Nhu Lan, a bakery adored for their Vietnamese salad rolls. Lunchtime today found the counter 4 deep, which is pretty much standard. Big colourful pictures on the walls let you know your choices, from mixed ham, BBQ pork or chicken, pork meatball etc. Normally the BBQ chicken is my fave (think sticky, glistening and an unnatural shade of crimson, chopped on a big rough-hewn chopping block concave from years of use) but decided to mix it up and go with the tofu. This is as far as I know a Nhu Lan exclusive, juicy fried cubes in a shiny, light, soy-based gravy with spring onion. The roll was also stuffed with the classic carrot/radish pickle, coriander, cucumber and chilli. It was to die for! J and I snarfed it in the car before we even pulled out of the parking lot. Tofu Nhu Lan roll now a classic in my book.

See more recent review here

Nhu Lan, 116 Hopkins St, Footscray (opposite the market, just past Leeds)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Nhu Lan. I always get the roll with the cold meats and occasionally the salad only rolls. Must give the tofu one the try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Libby - they are sooo good, aren't they? I like how Nhu Lan has mixed it up with the tofu, which as far as I know, isn't traditional for banh mi.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails